To narrow down our FAQ and help you find the answer you are looking for, please select your topic using the buttons below. If you cannot see your question listed, do get in touch using the form at the bottom of the page
Can KernowPrint Dry Toner sheets be folded and scored?
Thinner films can be folded using standard folding equipment, but it will continue to have some bounce back unlike paper because it has no grain and is a denser material. Thicker films requires systems that can apply heat and/or scoring (after printing) to create an effective fold.
Traditional scoring techniques such as Press Score, Rotary Score, or Die score are suitable. The depth of the score should be 20% of the thickness of the media.
Can KernowPrint be trimmed and Die Cut?
KernowPrint can be guillotine cut using a blade that is sharp and free of nicks. When die cutting, dies should be hardened steel and also sharp and free of nicks. Right angle cuts should be made with a 1.6mm or 1/16th inch radius hole. Laser die cutting is not recommended
Is KernowPrint Dry Toner waterproof?
KernowPrint is alcohol, water, chemical, and scuff resistant eliminating the need to laminate or varnish
What Best Practices Are Recommended When Running KernowPrint Dry Toner?
- Media must be acclimated in the original sealed package at the printer environment for 24 to 48 hours before use. Any unused media should be stored in the original box.
- For optimum image quality and reliability, maintain printer room Relative Humidity at 40% or higher. Printer room Relative Humidity of 40-45% may require transfer and fusing adjustments for best image quality results. Printer Room Relative Humidity conditions of less than 40% are not recommended.
- A 1-inch margin on both the trail and lead edge of the sheet is recommended; however a 2-inch margin may be required to eliminate the occurrence of Edge Deletion Artifacts when printing 3 and 4 color process colors.
- Multiple 3 and 4 color process solids may be more prone to image quality artifacts such as streaks and mottle.
- Printer setting recommendations are intended to be “Starting Point” target values that may have to be adjusted depending on printer room %RH, artwork composition and / or printer condition to obtain optimum image quality.
- When consecutively printing more than 1000 sheets it may be necessary to run plain paper that is the same size as the synthetic media every 500 sheets in order to clean residual fuser oil from the fuser section for printers that use fuser oil. Please check with your service representative to determine if this is required.
- It is highly recommended that the End User try a sample before purchasing significant quantities.
What label products does Kernow offer?
Kernow offers multiple synthetic labels with various adhesive choices including marine grade (BS5609 compliant).
What are the different types of adhesive we offer?
- Permanent Adhesive – An adhesive intended to stay for the life of the product. This type of adhesive is a strong, long term bond. Good for general purpose use. (Drum Labels, Shampoo Labels, Shipping Containers)
- Removable Adhesive – An adhesive intended for repositionable applications. This type of adhesive provides moderate adhesion for long term use, but removes cleanly when application is finished. (Bus Poster, Bumper Stickers and Shelf Marking)
- Low Tack Adhesive – An adhesive intended for repositionable applications. This type of adhesive provides a “cling-like” adhesive, very similar to a Post-it Note. Removes cleanly when application is finished. This adhesive provides a good bond with little or no adhesive residue upon removal. (Window Graphics and Counter Signage)
- Marine Grade – Approved drum labels, chemical and container labeling, BS5609 compliant
What is the difference between Permanent, Removable and Low Tack adhesive?
- Permanent – like labels on shampoo bottles – intended to stay for the life of the product
- Removable – like shelf markers or bumper stickers – you want them to stay on for a long time, but when they need to come off, they remove cleanly but with a bit of force
- Low Tack – like window clings – you want to reposition or reuse them elsewhere, and should be easily removed with little effort
What is the shelf life of label products?
18 months after delivery (under recommended storage conditions)
Is KernowPrint Dry Toner considered to be acid free?
No. While the base sheets are acid free, the top coating is not. Because the top coating is such a small portion of the overall material, some users use it regardless in acid free applications.
Can we create a custom pre-perf product for customers?
Yes, we can create a custom pre-perf for customers but they would incur the die charge. For best runability when designing a CUSTOM pre-perf the sheet size would need to be A4 or 8.5×11” and all perfs MUST be at least 6.35 mm, or 0.25” apart from one another.
Can KernowPrint Dry Toner be Recycled?
KernowPrint is a pure synthetic being recycled as a category 7 or category 1 polymer, depending on local regulation and availability.
How long will the image last on KernowPrint Dry Toner when used outside?
The longevity of the image depends on the concentration of UV in the light it is exposed to. Direct sun is worst case and from what we have seen the image will begin to fade within 6 months of direct exposure. We do not know if the fade curve is linear relative to UV concentration or how long the image will last in total darkness. The key however is protecting the image from UV whether it is through using UV-screening over-varnish or glass containing a UV barrier. Toners also vary in printing hardware, with a variation between different makes and models possible.
What are the recommended environmental conditions when running KernowPrint Dry Toner?
Controlling print room conditions are crucial when printing synthetic media. Temperature and humidity should be controlled between 10-30C (70-76F). and 40 – 55% Relative Humidity. Failure to control the environmental conditions will cause static buildup impacting print image quality and media handling performance.
Is KernowPrint Dry Toner available in colors?
KernowPrint is available in a number of pastel and vivid colors. The colors are compatible in the same OEM printer base as the white KernowPrint.
Is KernowPrint Dry Toner compatible with Digital Printing?
Kernow KernowPrint is approved and compatible in numerous OEM’s dry toner copier/printers including Xerox, Ricoh, Konica/Minolta, Canon, and Kodak. KernowPrint is also HP Indigo compatible. Kernow North America can provide printer run settings.
Can KernowPrint Dry Toner be printed using offset presses?
Yes. Oxidative and UV inks formulated for use on plastic are compatible. Laser safe inks are recommended if the preprinted stock is to be run in xerography. When using oxidative inks, limited use of drying powder is recommended. Limit ink coverage in areas to be laser imaged. Maintain a minimum of 45% press room relative humidity.
Do you make Drawing Films for outdoors?
If you require to use Drawing film outside in all weathers, Archelogy for instance, please enquire as we do have a product that is water resistance.
Our drawing film can be screen litho UVC printed, offering a low cost Backlight opportunity.
Do you make Diazo Film?
We do still produce a Diazo film 125 microns. The product is produced only once per year but If you require Diazo film please do let us know and we will see what can be done.
What causes the KernowPrint labels to jam, and how can it be avoided?
Jamming of the KernowPrint labels is most often caused by static build up.
- All KernowPrint labels have an anti-stat coating on back of liner to address this issue
- However, because of the ultra smooth surface of the clear, that stock is somewhat more susceptible to static and instances of jamming
- Maintaining humidity at 45% or greater can help mitigate.
- Other suggestions include fanning the stock prior to running; selecting the shortest print path; and employing any additional anti-stat measures available including tinsel, anti-stat bars etc.
Do you have a flat bed plotter product?
We have a D&R Product, called Kernowloft-this excellent lay flat Ink/ball point plotting film is still available, complementing our DIAZO film. Flat bed plotters? It’s a Guaranteed lay flat product.
How do I use Design Jet film?
DESIGN JET TRANSLUCENT JET DESIGN FILM, this product is Ink jet printable BUT does has a coating on the reverse enabling pen/ink drawing to be made.
Do you have a product for wide format PPC Printers?
We still produce polyester film products for Wide format PPC printers. In Translucent (frosted), White and Clear.
Do your Design & Repro Products come as sheets or rolls?
All of our Design & Reprographics materials can be sampled in wide format rolls or sheets.
What is KernowPrint Dry Toner?
Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) is commonly referred to as Polyester. The PET films have good stiffness with high dimensional and temperature stability. They are bi-axially oriented during manufacturing process which develops a very high tensile strength. Proprietary top coatings are required to achieve good printer image quality and limit static buildup. PET is an ideal base material for laser printing being largely unaffected by the high fuser temperatures in some printers. PET’s are unaffected by most common solvents. They are relatively inert and as such benign to the environment after disposal.
- KERNOWPRINT Self Adhesives Self Adhesives and Labelstock
- KERNOWPRINT Dry Toner Synthetic media for laser/toner printers & copiers
- KERNOWJET Latex, Solvent & UV High Performance Inkjet Media for Latex, Solvent & UV Printers
- KERNOWPRINT FOR HP INDIGO A complete range of synthetic media engineered for HP Indigo printers
- MetaliK for KernowPrint & KernowJet Highly reflective metallic media for a range of print applications
- KERNOWJET INTERIORS KernowJet INTERIORS - the professional choice for creative, tough wall coverings
- KERNOWJET Aqueous Synthetic Media for Wide Format Aqueous Inkjet Printers
- KERNOWPRINT Screen, Litho & Flexo Durable synthetic media for screen, litho & flexo printers
- KERNOWPRINT KIP® Synthetic Media for KIP® toner printers